Thursday, 4 February 2016

January/February Updates

Happy new year everyone!
2015 was a bit of a mad one and I've got a feeling that 2016 might be even more crazy.
Everyone seemed pretty bummed out in January with the short, cold days and numerous deaths. We lost some true legends of music that's for sure.
However, some good did shine through.
On the 3rd January, a load of Norwich/Norfolk based drummers and teachers got together at The Norwich Music Hub for a day of playing and ideas sharing. The plan was for each of us to bring something to work on so that at the end of the day we had 8 new themes to take away with us. As a self-employed drummer and teacher with no co-workers, it can sometimes feel like a lonely place, so meet ups like these are fantastic to give you a much needed injection of enthusiasm and it just goes to show that there is always something to learn. It was inspiring to be in a room working with some of the best drummers around here, it put me outside of my comfort zone and gave me a tonne of new ideas that I've been tearing my hair out at. I would recommend that other players and teachers try to do the same in their own area.

The Owl Sanctuary
There was a massive blow to the local music scene when it was announced that one of the greatest DIY venues in the country was to close its doors. The Owl Sanctuary In Norwich (formally called The Marquee) was somewhere I could call home. I first walked through those doors 16 years ago and little did I know then that it would have such a massive impact on my life. I met most of my closest friends there, I saw a load of my favourite bands there and I discovered a whole lot more. On the 19th January I played my 74th and final gig there. Packing up and leaving those 4 walls for what would be the final time left me feeling completely gutted. Support your local venue, it's places like these that are the starting block for any aspiring band to play. I truly hope they can find a new home.

Southport EP
I got a text on the 26th January asking if I could record drums for a new Southport EP the very next day (their drummer was unable to make it) Now, I've always been a big fan of Southport and the song-writing talents of Simon Wells (ex-Snuff/Your Mum) Infact the album Snuffsaid is one of my all time favourites, so even though I had zero time to prepare and had to juggle a few things about, there was no way I was going to pass this opportunity up. I got down to The Owl Sanctuary (see above!) at 9.30am and set up my Gretsch Renown kit, I thought it would also be a great time to try recording with my new Amedia crashes as well. After setting up and getting levels, we had 3 or 4 run throughs of the songs and then bashed em out, I think we did one or two takes and within a couple of hours we had the 3 songs down; just in time to get to my studio for a night of teaching. As I was leaving Si mentioned that it was for a Japanese release, I think this could be my first one?! If you haven't come across Southport yet, I would really recommend that you have a listen/buy both their albums from here

God Damn Coward Video
Very excited to say that our latest Ducking Punches video has just been premiered by Rocksound. The song is taken from our upcoming new album 'Fizzy Brain' and is called God Damn Coward.

UK and Europe Tours
We have just announced dates for our UK headline album release tour. They are:

Thursday 3rd March - The Monarch, London
Friday 4th March - Banquet Records, Kingston
Saturday 5th March - The Birdcage, Southsea
Sunday 6th March - Pav Tav, Brighton
Monday 7th March - Stag and Hounds, Bristol
Tuesday 8th March - Joiners, Southampton
Wednesday 9th March - Portland Arms, Cambridge
Friday 11th March - Norwich Arts Centre

All dates are with Chas Palmer-Williams (ex-Lightyear) from Brighton, who released one of my favourite albums of 2015. I'm very excited about this one!

To follow this up, we are going on a 3 week tour around Europe in April supporting the mighty Frank Turner! Not only will this mean playing much bigger venues than usual, it also brings with it a good handful of countries that I've never even visited let alone played before. In those 3 weeks we will be covering; Italy, Slovenia, Slovakia, Serbia, Hungary, Norway, Denmark, Finland and Sweden! Phew. Specific venues and dates can be found at http://frank-turner.com/live-gigs/


Revello - Saltwater Video
A music video for the song Saltwater has just been released. Unfortuantely I couldn't make it down for the shoot, it looked real fun. Anyway, check it out. You can buy the EP from here.