Tuesday, 6 January 2015

November/December Updates

So, as 2014 draws to a close I become a dad! My son was born mid-December and with that came time off to spend with the family. All I can say is that it has been the most amazing heart-warming and intense time of my life. I managed to take 4 weeks off. Normally I couldn't imagine 28 days of not even picking up my sticks but for once I was more than happy spending ever second of it at home getting to know each other.
Now as 2015 starts up and I get back to teaching and playing again, I am really excited about what this year is going to bring. My new band (yet to announce name) have been putting the final few practices in in preparation for recording of the album early in the year. I am so excited about getting the music out there and getting on the road.
Also on the recording horizon is the next Ducking Punches album. We have started to write the first few songs for it and aim to have it out by Spring. We already have a 2 week tour of Europe booked in for April, numerous weekends and one off shows as well as 2 weeks in America in October. It seems a mile off, but we're super excited already!

Rockshool exams
Teaching has been super busy as usual and feeling really great about how my students are getting along. Well done to everyone who just got their Rockschool exams back, some great results and feedback yet again! 

The London Drum Show
This year the London Drum show ran on the 8th and 9th November, again at the Olympia in Kensington. This time however it was to be held over 2 floors to try and ease the manic congestions and scrambles of previous years. I only managed to make it down for the Sunday this year and was mainly interested in seeing the gear than particularly any of the masterclasses. The first thing that struck me when I got in was just how much space there seemed this time, it almost seemed too empty and lacking in atmosphere. Don't get me wrong, it was lovely to have extra space, it just felt a little flat. I was quite suprised by the amount of companies not there this year to; Premier, Highwood, Tiki, Echo...the list goes on. I don't know whether it's a sign on the current market or economy, but I really hope they are all there next year. However, here are some of my picks;
UK based Provenance Drums had some of their bespoke snare drums on show. This company build one off high-end drums from unique salvaged materials; be that from a Spitfire, a Rolls Royce or whiskey barrels. Each one lovingly crafted, they sounded so great that legendary drummer Todd Sucherman bought one that weekend.
I was incredibly excited to see the Los Angeles based Q Drums on the Sound Attak store, these are one of the best looking and sounding kits money can buy. Just a treat to see these in person.
Pastorio padouk solid shell kit
Guru Drums are a UK based company that craft the most beautiful solid shell drum kits. Every year I see these I fall in love with the look and sound of them. If I had the money, these would be my go to company. Best sounding kits of the day.
A very close second though was made by a new company to me. They are called Pastorio Drums and are built by two guys in Italy. I was so, so close to spending £1800 on the most incredible sounding Padouk solid stave kit. A name to keep an eye out for in the future and who knows, next year, just maybe.
Elsewhere, I saw some lovely gear from Craviotto, an amazing new UK acrylic only company called Forecast Drums and some great sounding cymbals from the lovely lot at Bosphorus.
All in all, another great day out seeing lots of great drummers, friends and equipment. Already excited for 2015. Keep an eye out for information at The London Drum Show